Re: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

On Tuesday 17 May 2016 15:25:47 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 03:12:45PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Configuring interface eth1=eth1 (inet)
> > run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant
> > ip addr add 192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 	  dev
> > eth1 label eth1 RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> > Failed to bring up eth1.
> > run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-up.d
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-autoipd
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/clamav-freshclam-ifupdown
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/openssh-server
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/upstart
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/wpasupplicant
> > done.
> > ====================
> > It makes no attempt to shut down eth1, so of course it exists.
> >
> > Here is the REAL bug.
>
> I think this problem is quite likely to be as a result of the things
> you did in the earlier thread, where you were manually setting eth1
> up with ifconfig.
>
> It is a known deficiency of ifupdown that it doesn't know the state
> of the system unless it made those state changes itself. It did not
> do anything to eth1 because you hadn't earlier told it to manage
> eth1. So when it came to shut down all interfaces it didn't do
> anything with eth1. And then later when it tries to configure it, it
> finds it is already configured.
>
> I think that possibly you could return things to a state that
> ifupdown can cope with by either rebooting, or by manually removing
> the IP address from eth1 and setting it down:
>
> # ip addr del 192.168.1.3/24 dev eth1
> # ip link set down dev eth1
>
> Then assuming eth1 is correctly configured in
> /etc/network/interfaces (which you have not yet shown us in full, so
> we don't know for sure), I would think that ifup -a and ifdown -a
> would work as expected.

No, it still does not shutdown eth1. Then it does the opposite at uptime
and NETLINK says file exists, failed to start eth1. But ifconfig says is
configured again.  I've reset that router so lets see if I can see it at
192.168.1.1 with a browser.  Nope, unreachable. Route -n says that route
is there.  ifconfig says it is configured correctly.

So, why do I get this error now?

ip addr add 192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 dev eth1 label eth1
ip link set dev eth1   up
ip route add default via 192.168.1.1  dev eth1
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Failed to bring up eth1.

> But, is this not now all academic since the task you needed this
> interface for is done?
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Yes and no, I have another router (the one I took out yesterday) to do
the same hard reset & reconfigure on, but will probably tackle that
long before I reboot. See above.

The bottom line is that it seems I have destroyed the setup I did have
working yesterday.  And I'm lost again.

But I just got it, I noted no green leds for occupied LAN sockets,
push the plug in another 1/8 inch and bingo, its alive for firefox.
Damn these molded cables.  Gimme on I made anytime.

And I am looking at the mandatory change username & password screen
of a never configured dd-wrt install.

So I'm off to reconfigure this one again.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)