Re: /etc/init.d/networking does not start everything in /etc/network/interfaces

On Tuesday 17 May 2016 08:16:32 Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> * Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> [2016-05-17 08:05 -0400]:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > 32 bit Debian wheezy, updated at least daily.
> >
> > This fact was brought to my attention because I needed a path to a
> > router I needed to do a hard reset on, and reconfigure to do my
> > stuff, but my normal home network isn't on the usual 192.168.1.1
> > class C, and a hard reset puts the router back to the 1.1 address.
> >
> > So in order to use eth1 as a path to this router, I have to do a
> > separate
> >
> > sudo ifconfig eth1 up
> >
> > as a sudo service networking restart will not restart the second
> > eth1 stanza in my interfaces file, starting only eth0.
> >
> > Normally the interface is not even graced with a cat5 in the socket,
> > and ATM it is but the far end of 5 feet of cat5 is laying on the
> > floor.
> >
> > Is it possible to make this init.d/networking script start
> > everything it finds in the interfaces file?
>
> Ask your search engine: "init.d/networking restart is deprecated"
>
> Elimar

This is wheezy, Elimar.  What has replaced it?  Doing the search  as
recommended, and clicking on the debian answer, what I see may work, I
didn't try it, but thats the biggest kludge I've seen in a while, even
Rube Goldberg would have been impressed. So I will continue to use the
deprecated method until such time as it quits working entirely, or has
been replaced by something equally simple and elegant. That solution for
sure isn't it.  Thats like me going to the store for a daily paper, a
distance of 1.5 miles, but taking a 1400 mile round trip detour to see
the arch in St. Louis Mo.  BTDT, rode the elevator even. If the script
we have been using for a decade doesn't work under some obscure
condition, fix the script!  Sheesh...

Thanks Elimar.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)