Building just one module against the current kernel

Just trying to build one module for a piece of hardware I have.

All of the information and guidance I've found to make one single modules don't work.

The kernel source and headers and any supporting packages are installed.  It appears the
syntax for getting the module built is the issue.  The module source code is in the kernel
source package at /usr/src/linux-3.16.7-ckt25/drivers/net/can/spi listed here:

Kconfig
Makefile
mcp251x.c
modules.order

What I'm looking for is the command to compile this module to mcp251x.ko

thanks,
--
tjm