Re: need to make an eth0:1 net interface

Hi Gene,

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 07:38:46PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Do we have a utility that makes it easy to add a :1 to an existing eth0
> interface?

It depends what exactly you are trying to achieve.

If you just want to add an additional IP address to an interface
then you can do that in /etc/network/interfaces:

    https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Multiple_IP_addresses_on_one_Interface

If it's only for temporary use then you can add it to the running
configuration with the "ip" command but perhaps let's not get into
that until it's clear what you're trying to do.

> I need to reconfigure a router from scratch.

It is unclear why this requires you to add an extra IP address to
your local machine. Is this perhaps because you are trying to reach
the new router's admin interface which is on an IP address in a
different network, such as 192.168.1.1? I am only guessing.

> I've manually added it, but I'm pinging myself when I ping it, as in no
> effect on the ping when the newer router is unplugged. Either cat5 or
> power.

If pinging a local interface, the packets will not leave your
machine. What outcome were you expecting?

> Or, another possibility is this mobo has 2 ethernet ports, is it possible
> to setup a totally separate network on eth1?  If so how?

You can configure eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces as a separate
network, with a different range, etc.

> Tutelage needed obviously.

More details first, I think.

Cheers,