Re: Can Debian do multi-core "MY WAY"?

On Saturday 14 May 2016 13:42:51 John Hasler wrote:

> Richard Owlett writes:
> > Anyone remember era when 8085 was "state of the art" ;/
>
> I remember when the 8080 was "state of the art".
>
> > I envision
> >  core A using memory range X
> >  core B using memory range Z
> >
> > My individual tasks could be handled by a 2MHz Z80
> >
> > Can Debian do it on GHz machine?
>
> That's low-level kernel hacking.

And you can download a pre-hacked version based on wheezy that can run
machinery with sub-micron accuracy, far better than the average machine
can do, as its subject to thermals etc that limit it to perhaps a
thousandth of an inch in everyday use. From linuxcnc.org today and
everyday.  Free every day.  I have 4 copies of it running here.  On the
right board and cpu, this software can send a step pulse to a stepper
motor driver every 25 microseconds.  Thats 40 kilohertz, not the stepper
motors top speed, so if you really want to move fast, a 90 dollar card
can take you to the limits of the opto-isolaters in those drivers at
somewhere above 200 kilohertz.  Using that card allows one to be a whole
lot less picky about the board and cpu.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)