Re: Guidelines for allocating system resources for VMs?

Martin Read:
> On 14/05/16 10:05, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
>> I want to use virtual machines for my everyday work on my laptop (with a
>> Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz * 4 and 16GB RAM), using KVM on Debian as
>> my hypervisor.
>>
>> But I can't find any general guidelines for how much system resources to
>> "give" to a VM. How many logical cores? How much RAM? Note that the
>> primary OS only should act as a hypervisor.
>
> How much RAM and how many cores do you think the work in question needs?
>
> Answer that, and you have the basis for your answer.

The thing is that I don't know (don't know how to access the necessary
information either), and assigning as much as possible would probably be
the best solution.

I plan in the future buy a GPU and use PCI passthrough to use a VM for
gaming, and then I would need to assign as much resources as possible.

--
Regards,
Albin