Re: Dealing with library dependencies

	Hi.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 09:04:11AM +0200, Martin Hanson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about getting the game Alien Isolation, but running a "strace" at a friends installation showed that the game required libssl.1.0.0, but I am running Debian Stretch which has libssl.1.0.2. Also other similar libraries are off on version number.
>
> How does one handle such an issue?

Rebuilding it from the source usually helps.

> Should one simply create a symbolic link from libssl.1.0.2 to libssl.1.0.0? Would that even work?

No. libssl is (in)famous for its unstable API and ABI, and the names are different for this very reason.

> I don't understand why library dependencies doesn't come with the games themselves in some in-game directory so as to make it more independent upon Linux distribution etc.

Security concerns, mostly. Every time one ships a library like that one should take a responsibility of tracking every vulnerability in the library *and* update it accordingly. Else the user of the software is left at the mercy of malware and blackhats :)

And if the authors of Alien Isolation really cared about Linux distribution independence - they'd use GNUTLS instead of OpenSSL.

Reco