Re: Stop Hard Drive fromn Thrashing

On 04/22/2016 01:17 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 22 Apr 2016 at 11:25:15 (-0400), Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I have installed Debian v-8.4.0.

My hard drive keeps running and I would like to know what is
happening.  Google does not seem to be too friendly.
Not a lot to go on there. (Turn off the computer, says the cynic.)

What were you running before? Wheezy? My laptop disk thrashes for
two or three minutes at bootup. This is an inconvenience for
typing my password (it can take <= 8 seconds for the prompt which
turns off password reflection). X is slow to start the first time
(up to a minute). Very unlike wheezy's behaviour.

If it carries on thrashing, is it swapping?    $ top

Is your browser running?

Cheers,
David.

Not using swap or browser.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.	Life is a fuzzy set
www.Molecular-Modeling.net	Stochastic and multivariate