re: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:27:17 -0700
From: Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]

> Much to my regret (and others, too, I'm sure), yesterday, on 15 April
> 2016, the beginning of the end began for Wheezy. Google, as announced

[snipped]

> Well, at least I have time to look for an alternative. Maybe, Devuan
> will be viable by then, but I doubt it.  Or Debian will offer a choice
> of inits as a standard option during installs on future releases, but I
> very much doubt it.

O ye of little faith!  I have been using Devuan Xfce on my desktop since last November.   Haven't had one hiccup with it.  And I am not alone!  Many are using it on their desktop and also on production servers.  Beta will be released very soon if that's what you're waiting for.

This just posted a few days ago:

"today at 10:00 CET Nextime has dropped our first batch of ballast off
the board.  meaning now the systemd and systemd-sysv packages are not anymore
available from the Devuan repositories."

You can download the alpha4 at https://files.devuan.org/ or if you want to try a live iso there's the Refracta Devuan derivative:

http://refracta.freeforums.org/refracta-8-jessie-based-on-devuan-t529.html

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refracta/files/testing/

golinux