Re: Script doesn't work when it is run using '#!/bin/sh'

On Saturday 16 April 2016 10:47:24 Aero Maxx wrote:

> On 16/04/2016 14:08, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 01:22:09PM +0100, Aero Maxx wrote:
> >> I have a number of bash scripts that work perfectly fine on fedora
> >> 23, but do not work on debian 8.  I've tried to sort it out myself,
> >> but am a little stuck now hopefully someone is able to give me a
> >> nudge in the right direction.
> >> The output I get from the above script is

> > The [[ is correct bash syntax. To try to pinpoint the problem, try
> > running the script with "bash <script>". If you don't want to run
> > the script but just to check syntax, you might want to try
> > "bash -n <script>".
> >
> > If that works out OK, perhaps your script is still being invoked
> > under dash?
>
> I tried that it works thank you, I mistaken assumed that because I
> changed the shebang line to be bash instead of sh,
> and then ran it using "sh <script>" it would work, but obviously I got
> the same errors as before, and I wasn't aware that
> there was one called bash also, but now I think of it that's quite
> obvious.
>
> Anyway thank you to everyone that responded to my message!

FWIW, bash I believe, is the grey haired old man in the shell arena, I
was using it way back in my amiga days as someone had apparently ported
it to amigados 2 decades and change ago.  We also had ksh and csh, but
they didn't have the power of bash or ARexx.  And I still miss ARexx.
Even bash cannot do the intimate to the os things that ARexx could do.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)