Re: Can you help me figure out why I can't get Grub to install from a standard CD .iso?

On 04/14/2016 09:57 AM, EGO-II.1 wrote:
I've been trying for about a week now to get Debian with the MATE
desktop installed on my PC. For some reason it runs the CD fine, then
when it gets to the grub install part? it fails. I have tried by burning
the .iso file to both DVD and CD and it keeps failing on either one. Can
anyone shed some light on this matter for me? I have installed Debian
from CD's / DVD's in the past and never experienced this problem. I
there something the devs have removed from a standard .iso file? I mean
if push comes to shove I'll most likely just have to go the Ubuntu
route, but I was trying to deal directly with the "superior server"
distro. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Oh! Here's some "specs" for y'all!

MACHINE FOR INSTALL: Dell Inspiron 3650 Desktop/i5/32GB RAM/1TB HDD
USED: Debian 8.x .ISO Image w/ The MATE Desktop Environment -DVD
USED: Debian 8.x .ISO Image w/ The MATE Desktop Environment - CD

FIts just strange that it stops immediately after trying to install
grub. What's changed with the .ISO's on the Debian homepage? Is this
because if the whole "Systemd" issue?...or is this something they've
implemented in order to improve some other feature? AAAArrrrrgggghjhhh!!!
(And although this is might seem like a simple
"desktop-in-the-backroom-office" type of thing. This is in all actuality
the beginning stages of "testing" for the company I work for!!)

What's the Dell Service Tag? Any hardware changes since it shipped from Dell -- e.g. is the "System configuration" -> "Original configuration" on the Dell support web site accurate, and/or have you updated the "Current configuration"?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd

    "Operating system
    Available with Windows 10 Home..."

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-3650-desktop/manuals

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3650-desktop_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

   "System information
    Chipset	Intel H110

That is a fairly new chipset -- Q3'15.

    "Memory
    Configurations supported 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB"

You have installed more RAM than the manufacturer supports. What make and model memory modules have you installed? What makes you think they will work correctly under all operating conditions? Have you run memtest86+ or some other testing/ burn-in diagnostic for an extended period (24+ hours)?

    "Video
    Controller:
    Integrated	Intel HD Graphics
    Discrete	NVIDIA GeForce GT 730"

Both Intel and NVIDIA graphics (?). That can be a problem. Here was my experience with NVIDIA Optimus on a Sandy Bridge-era Dell Latitude:

I am unable to find CMOS setup documentation on-line. But, as others have posted, you might find a solution by changing one or more of the CMOS settings:

1.  Disable Secure Boot.

2.  Enable Compatibility Support Module:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Compatibility_Support_Module

3. Disable either the Intel graphics or the NVIDIA graphics. (If you can't disable the card in CMOS, pull it.)

Another possibility is that you might need to install and run Debian Testing (Stretch) to get the latest device drivers, X Windows, etc.:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

I recommend that you use a small (16 GB) SSD or USB 3.0 flash drive for your system drive. Choose manual partitioning during installation, delete the existing partitions, create a new partition table (d-i should create/ use MBR), and then create partitions as follows:

1	 0.5 GB ext4 /boot (bootable flag = on)
2	 0.5 GB swap
3	13.4 GB btrfs root

(After the machine is up and running, you can set up the large HDD later.)

Be sure to install SSH during installation -- if the machine boots but graphics are bad, you might be able to log in via SSH for troubleshooting and repair.

You will want and need a working computer while you fool with Debian on the Inspiron 3650. Type up detailed notes. Take pictures of the screen and/or use video, if necessary (a tiny tripod and/or 1/4-20 cell phone mount can be very useful). SSH into the Inspiron and cut/ paste console sessions, when possible. Expect to make several runs navigating the permutations.

David