Re: Two questions

Alan McConnell composed on 2016-04-12 20:16 (UTC-0400):

First, about my .iso downloads.  I have  debian-8.4.0-i386-DVD-2.iso, containing
4560861184 bytes, and debian-8.4.0-i386-DVD-3.iso, containing 4649361408 bytes.
Are the byte counts correct?  [ Yes, I know I should use checksums or something
like that, but I don't know anything about that<sigh>  ]

Second,  I'd like to revive my ftp skills.  I could access ftp.debian.org, and
move around in it, and download some files.  But I'd like to use ftp to
download the two .isos given above, and I couldn't find them.  Can someone
give me the path to these two .isos?  I'll try using ftp to get them(again)

Finally, jigdo.   Ugh.  I grabbed a file jigdo-bin-0.7.3.tar.bz2 and tried to
unpack it.  tar worked for an hour, couldn't do it.  ! ? ! ?

One way to do most of what you wish to do is possible directly via mc (midnight commander), a mature text-based OFM utility with FTP (and a lot more) built into it. I'm looking at both those isos and their md5sums in mc right now, on:

	mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/8.4.0/amd64/iso-dvd/

All it takes to fetch (aka download or copy) either iso and/or MD5SUMS and/or SHA*SUMS is highlight them, and hit F5, in some ways like a GUI file manager. Mc runs in any type of terminal, so it's handy for fixing things whether or not a GUI is available. Once you have the required files, the man pages for md5sum and sha*sum explain the simple process for checking the isos.

Mc also allows viewing (and more) of archives, so to "enter" (same as entering a directory) that jigdo-bin bz2 file would require no more than selecting, then hitting <ENTER>. Once entered, you can F5 (copy) contents out, same as when fetching files via FTP.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/