Re: Creating launcher in Gnome 3

On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 13:27:02 +0100
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a launcher.  Following the explanation in
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/index.
> html
>
> I created the following file in ~/.local/share/applications
>
> eiffel-estudio.desktop
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Type=Application
> Exec=/opt/Eiffel_15.12/studio/spec/linux-x86-64/bin/estudio
> Icon=/opt/Eiffel_15.12/studio/bitmaps/png/estudio.png
> Name=Eiffel Builder
> Categories=Programming
>
> However, this is ignored. It appears from the xdg reference that the
> directory (and its subdirectories too?) should be read automatically,
> but my entry still does not appear in the menu.

GNOME is shifty and standards-nonconforming, what can I say? Use Xfce
or MATE.

> So what is missing, please?

The recommended way to manage the GNOME application menu is to use the
GNOME project's menu manager, named alacarte. You can install alacarte
(if it is not installed already) with the following command:

# apt-get install alacarte

Once alacarte is installed, run it, and select the "New Item" option
once you have navigated to the location in the hierarchy in which you
wish to create the new item. (at least this is how I remember it, and
how mozo still operates in MATE)