Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

Lisi Reisz wrote:
>On Tuesday 29 March 2016 23:55:33 Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> look in the directories on cdimage.debian.org for the
>> signed checksums alongside the images:
>
>I'm very grateful for everything the dds do, honestly.  But please, now that
>you help the blind a little, could you not start to remember the partially
>sighted?
>
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware
>>/archive/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/ (8.2.0 in the archive)
>>
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware
>>/8.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/ (8.3.0, the current stable release)
>
>This information is not available on the website.  It is gold-dust.  The
>website has a hyperlink that says "AMD64"
>https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/
>
><rant>
>Yes, it says that the check-sums are available.  It says that they are in the
>same directories.  It doesn't say where and what those directories are.  It
>just has flipping hyperlinks that don't go to the directories, which would be
>fine, they just go straight into downloading.

Yes, it does annoy me that the link doesn't warn you of that.
I don't know how you browse so this might not help you, but here
is what I do:

After navigating to the page with the ISO link (either from Debian
home page or directly by googling something like   debian installer   )
I take care not to left-click on the link, but instead right-click and
select Copy Link Location.
Then I type "wget " in an xterm and paste the link after it. That
downloads the ISO file.

I then open a blank browser page and paste the same link into the
address bar. Without pressing Return, I then erase the filename back
as far as the last directory slash. Now pressing Return takes you to
the directory containing the ISO file and, of course, all the SHA stuff.
Right-click on the SHA512SUMS and paste that as you did the ISO. Ditto
the SHA512SUMS.sign.

To validate, I type   sha512sum * > /tmp/sums   (in the directory I
wget'd into), then
diff -u SHA512SUMS /tmp/sums | less -S
and you should see no lines beginning with +, but only - or blank.
Then I   gpg2 --verify SHA512SUMS.sign   which gives a fingerprint
that occur somewhere on the page https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

So the method all depends on right-clicking giving you that menu,
which I hope it does.

Cheers,
David.