Re: restarting network

> I guess, if it never goes down, it can never come up

If you modified your /etc/network interfaces when the network was up and
running then you can face similar messages. If you want to modify your
network settings then the proper order is

- stop your network (either via /etc/init.d/networking or systemctl)
- modify your interfaces file
- start your network.

Now if you don't want to reboot try ifconfig eth1 down first then ifdown
eth1 then ifup eth1 again. If you are lucky (and I remember well :) this
will solve your problem.

--
--- Friczy ---
'Death is not a bug, it's a feature'