Issues running VLC on Xserver

I have been using VLC for playing videos, as it scales up the video to fit the screen even if the size of video doesn't match the screen size. This was done using "Always fit windows" settings. However, after some recent update (no idea which one), videos with smaller resolution doesn't scale up. They run in the middle of the screen, and when "always fit windows" is checked, it runs in the same size in the top left corner of the window. Things work fine in GNOME Videos.
This is not the same everywhere, as when I login to "GNOME on Wayland", VLC work fine. There is no issue.

Also, when I change "Hardware accelerated decoding" to X11 codecs, few videos work well (mp4/mkv/avi), while sometimes (now-a-days frequent), entire RAM gets used up. On running VLC from Terminal, I saw some messages about segmentation fault.

Here are some details about my system:
Dell Inspiron 15 3543, Intel Dedicated Graphics (Broadwell) on Core i5 5200 U
running Debian Stretch
VLC : VLC media player 2.2.2 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.2-0-g6259d80)

Regards
Himanshu Shekhar