Re: Upgrade Deb 7 to 8, GNOME Flashback, terminal windows not saved: any way to save?

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I should get to the end before I respond!

That's okay, Lisi, I do that, too, especially when trying to work
e-mail with a tablet.

And this gives me a chance to elucidate on my situation. I have liked
and used Debian for at least 10 years (after 10+ years with Yggdrasil,
Redhat, Fedora), but, as GNOME 2 was giving way to GMOE 3 (ugh), I
tried some of the Debian-like distros like Mint but didn't like them.
Finally, default Deb 8 I thought was the end for me, but Mate has
allowed me to keep my old desktop the way I want it and still keep
using a current Debian, so I am happy for now.

SHAMELESS PLUG: Please keep MATE as part of Deb 9..*!!

BTW, so far I have upgraded two hosts remotely and they went pretty
much flawlessly (I have used in-place upgrade on one server
successfully since Deb 5, and the upgrade process keeps getting better
and better).  I still have to upgrade my two laptops, but I'm going to
wait until I'm completely happy with the other two machines.

Best regards,

-Tom