Re: exim4 maildir_tag

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 02:48:56AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
Hi,

I want to use this feature of dovecot [1].

But it requires that each Maildir filename include ",S=$message_size" in
the file names.

How can I get exim4 to create all new emails using the maildir_tag format?

Probably the easiest way is to get dovecot to create the files. Look at either http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Exim or http://wiki.dovecot.org/LMTP/Exim for how to tell Exim to deliver messages to dovecot. Dovecot will then store the file in whatever mail storage format you dictate (compress maildirs as you want, or its own dbox format).

Basically, LDA or LMTP allow you to decouple the mail delivery task (exim) from the mail storage task (dovecot).

I believe that I need to add this in to my config, but I've tried to do
so and am not getting the right result.

maildir_tag = ,S=$message_size

[I am also not concerned about quotas right now.]

I have a split files configuration.

Dovecot version detail:
dovecot-common                     1:2.1.7-7+deb7u1

Exim4 version detail:
exim4                              4.80-7+deb7u1
exim4-base                         4.80-7+deb7u1
exim4-config                       4.80-7+deb7u1
exim4-daemon-heavy                 4.80-7+deb7u1

[1] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Zlib

Kind Regards
AndrewM

--