Re: binary-i386 packages missing in Release file

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 08:43:56PM -0300, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> Correct syntax is:
>
> --
> deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
> --
>
> On 6 March 2016 at 20:10, Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 10:47:26PM +0300, Reco wrote:
>     >       Hi.
>     >
>     > On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 14:34:25 -0500
>     > Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
>     >
>     > > I have jessie installed on an AMD64 machine, which lacks any desktop
>     > > environment.
>     > >
>     > > I downloaded google-chrome AMD64 deb from the Chrome website and
>     > > installed by running dpkg -i on it. It works OK. But now I want to add
>     > > flashplugin-nonfree for it or, if that fails to use it for my
>     > > iceweasel. In order to install flashplugin-nonfree I added contrib to
>     > > the sources.list.
>     > >
>     > > When I do aptitude update, the contrib it hit, but the update fails
>     > > because:
>     > >
>     > > > W: Failed to fetch
>     > > > http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release: Unable to
>     > > > find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in file
>     >
>     > 1) Locate the line like this in a file inside /etc/apt/sources.list.d:
>     >
>     > deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/
>     >
>     > 2) Change it to:
>     >
>     > deb [amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/
>     >
>     > This warning should go away.
>     >
>     > Reco
>
>     Reco, your suggestion didn't work. When I do an update I get
>
>     > E: Malformed line 14 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list ([amd64] is
>     > not an assignment)
>
>     I did not have the dl.google.com line to start with. When I removed the
>     amd, and the line still malformed. When I comment the line altogether,
>     I get failed to fetch because there no 'main/binary-i386/Pakages in
>     release file. Why does it look for dl.google.com? The line is not in
>     sources.list.
>
>     Haines

Progress, but not there yet. In sources.list I have the line:

  deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

When I do # aptitude update, it starts with a warning:

     W: Duplicate sources.list entry
     http://dl.google.com/linus/chrome/deb stable/main amd64 Packages
     (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_ \
     main_binary-amd64_packages)

     W: You may want to update the packages lists to correct these
     missing files

then there are hits and gets and then 100% [working]. However, this
is followed by a warning and errors:

     W: Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/ \
     stable/Release: Unable to find expected entry `main/binary-i386/ \
     Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed
     file)

     E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or
     old ones used instead

     E: Couldn't rebuild package cache.

This didn't stop me from installing the flashplugin-nonfree, but with
aptitude update I still get more or less the same warnings and errors.

Haines