Fwd: KVM Bridge wlan0

I have a laptop with an wireless adapter. I would like to run KVM with virtual machines. I would like to be able to access the internet from the virtual machine. Can anybody tell me how that is done using the wireless adapter?

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: KVM Bridge wlan0
Date: March 6, 2016 at 2:42:42 PM EST

Hi.

Please refrain from top-posting.
Please do not CC me, I'm subscribed to the list.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 14:05:32 -0500
Timothy Marion <timothy.marion@marion.systems> wrote:

I do not know that I want to bridge eth0 to wlan0.

You have it anyway in the current configuration.

I have one working interface on my computer wlan0.

Er, your 'ifconfig' list says otherwise. At the very least you have a
wired interface called eth0. It's irrelevant to the current problem,
though.

I want a virtual machine using KVM to be able to communicate to the
internet using wlan0.

There are multiple ways of doing it. Bridge, NAT, tunnels, you name it.

All documentation I can find indicates that is done with a bridge.

Because it's the simpliest way to accomplish such connectivity. But
about the only *real* need to use a bridge arises if you need the
outside world to communicate with your VM. As in - you need someone to
establish inbound connections to your VM with the minimal hassle.

All documentation I can find indicates you do this
with eth0. I do not use eth0. I have wlan0.

Got it.

good new! I now have br0 with eth0 and wlan0.

Just as planned.

bad new! now the laptop no longer has any internet connectivity.

Which is clearly shown by this (note NO-CARRIER):

2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master br0 state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
   link/ether 2c:60:0c:2f:be:18 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master br0 state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
   link/ether ac:b5:7d:3d:18:df brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: br0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default
   link/ether 2c:60:0c:2f:be:18 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

So, disregarding eth0. Do you have wpa_supplicant running? Does wpa_cli
show successful association with your AP?

Reco