Re: What else must I do to avoid installing "suggests"? Was: How to get a "minimal font set"?

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Joel Roth wrote:

cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/40nosuggestrecommends
Apt::Install-Suggests false;
Apt::Install-Recommends false;

Nice. Done. Thanks.

I had reason a couple of nights ago to consult 'man apt-get' because it seemed that lots of "suggested" pkgs were being installed. The two relevant options I found on the man page:

--no-install-recommends
and
--install-suggests

lead me to believe that the desired default behavior is to go ahead and install 'recommends' but not 'suggests'.

When as an experiment I added "--no-install-suggests" (not in the man page afaik) to an apt-get commandline, I was surprised that no error message leaped up i.e. I did not see "no such option."

I'm sorry I don't have better empirical data to offer as to what packages were involved, and how many, but my vote for the question "Has weirdness crept into apt-get? is "Yes."

All best,

--
I am animated by distrust of all high guesses, and by sympathy
with the old prejudices and workaday opinions of mankind: they

                                  George Santayana