Re: Bluetooth headphones mistaken for a keyboard!?!

Mark Fletcher wrote:

> deloptes <deloptes <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Mark Fletcher wrote:
>>

>> > PC is
>> > a 7-year-old self-built desktop box running Jessie with Gnome as the
>> > DE,
>>
>> Which version of debian are you on and which kernel?
>>

> Thanks for your time and attention. As I mentioned in my original post, I
> am running Jessie. The kernel is the stock x86_64 kernel currently in
> Jessie. I'm sorry but I'm not in front of the computer right now and am
> not sure exactly what version. I last updated last Sunday.
>
>> You may need to tell udev what kind of device it is, but we don't know if
>> your system is configured properly
>>

> I'm fairly confident in my system configuration since I have been able to
> get my system to work as s Pulse SINK for an iPhone and Android SOURCE,
> which is reputed to be harder than what I am trying to do here. But I take
> your point, no proof there isn't some misconfiguration lurking somewhere.
> And I suppose it's possible that I jiggered something up, if you'll pardon
> the technical term, when I was getting the iPhone / Android thing working.
> I'm not sure HOW to educate udev on a device it doesn't just know -- and
> the few google queries on that I have tried so far have left me cross-
> eyed...
>
>> I couldn't find any information on that
>> head set and linux except that head set is pretty expensive
>>

> Yes it's a very nice pair of headphones -- the sound quality is amazing,
> and the noise cancellation isn't bad either. And comfortable for spectacle
> wearers which not all makers can claim.
>
>> https://lwn.net/Articles/531133/
>> http://jfcarter.net/~jimc/documents/blue-music-1504.html
>>

> Thanks for these -- I have only been able to review the second of these as
> the first is being blocked by my company firewall for some reason. I'll
> look at it when I get home tonight. Unfortunately, the second, like
> everything I've read on the internet about this problem in the last 24
> hours or so, skips over the problem I'm having -- from pairing (no
> problem) to connecting (no ERRORS, _probably_ no problem) to configuring /
> setting up Pulse (which I don't get to because my system thinks a keyboard
> just connected to it, not a pair of headphones).
>
> Mark

>From my experience with bluetooth worst case would be that something is not
supported, but it is rear as BT is mostly standardized in terms of
communication.

So what I would do is to check the profiles reported via the hcitool
It would be most probably A2DP.
Next is to find out how to configure udev to map the profile to an output.
Jessie stock is 3.16 - it could be worth trying something newer - live
ubuntu pre release or so. Not only because of the kernel, but because udev
could be smarter.
I had to install blueman in order to easily configure bluetooth devices in
gnome on jessie recently. And I read that A2DP is located now in
gstreamer ... pulse something package (bluez5).

I think you misinterpret the messages - it is normal that you get keyboard
as input, because there are buttons you press to control the device.
The problem is you are missing the audio link. So there is a missing part -
not wrongly configured one. I would say this part is correctly configured,
but the audio link is not configured at all.

However it could be also that the expensive brand "Bang & Olufsen" provided
you with a CD with windows drivers for something not supported in linux -
this would be your worst case.

I hope this helps