Re: Warning Linux Mint Website Hacked and ISOs replaced with Backdoored Operating System

Le sextidi 6 ventôse, an CCXXIV, Christian Seiler a écrit :
> Yes, I know what an HMAC is. But an HMAC is _utterly_ useless for a
> digital signature.

Please stop commenting the finger when I try to show you the moon.

I was not saying that HMAC are useful for digital signatures, I was giving
another, simpler, example to try to get you to understand the principle.

You want an actual example of attack that a proper signing protocol
prevents? Here is one:

1. Alice generates harmless.iso and harmful.iso with a hash collision.
2. Bob generates harmless.iso.sha and signs it as harmless.iso.sha.sign.
3. Alice replaces harmless.iso by harmful.iso.
4. Eve checks the signature, the signature is valid.

Compare to:

2. Bob signs harmless.iso as harmless.iso.sign.
3. Alice replaces harmless.iso by harmful.iso.
4. Eve checks the signature, the signature is invalid, the attack is foiled.

The principle is that a proper signing protocol needs to include in the
hashed message parts that the attacker can not control.

(As a side note, IIRC, the collision attack on MD5 has the property that:
size(A) == size(B) && md5(A) == md5(B) => md5(A||C) = md5(B||C); in that
case, it would be better to include parts that the attacker can not control
before the message, not just after.)

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George