Re: Debian security: need recipe for blocking root ssh access AND all ssh password access

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
I have several remote Debian 7 servers and would like to secure it in
the following manner:

1. root will not be allowed any external access (access is only via a
user becoming root while logged in)

2. after initial setup, no ssh access will be allowed via a password

I have seen much documentation on securing such a host, but I don't
want to be an expert--I just need a recipe.

You need to open /etc/ssh/sshd_config and the right settings are obvious from there.  But I would suggest you setup a key pair login and test it before applying these changes. Otherwise you might be locked out.  But you might be able to VNC to it just in case.

Many thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom