Re: Components non-free and contrib are not enabled after installing to virtualbox virtual machine.

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 11:18:05 +0100 (CET) jds1307@telenet.be wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the latest Debian CD image
> (http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.3.0-amd64-CD-1.iso)
>
> Installing to bare metal enables the components main contrib and
> non-free.
>
> Installing to a virtualbox virtual machine only enables the main
> component, not contrib nor non-free.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Is it intended behaviour? If so, what is the reasoning behind it?
>
> Is it a bug?
>
> I did some debugging and the problem seems to be located in the
> installers 'apt-setup' package. In that shell script the calls to
>

> db-get apt-setup/non-free
>
> and
>
> db-fget apt-setup/contrib
>
> return false when installing to virtual machine, but they return true
> when installing to bare metal.
>
> Is there a way  to set up debconf so that it enables components
> contrib and non-free when installing to a virtualbox virtual machine?
>
> Any advice gratefully received,
>
> jds1307

Are you sure you installed using exactly the same image on both bare
metal and in the VM?

Because in my experience, Debian only enables main on a fresh install
with official images (unless the user specifies otherwise). Else it is
a bug, since Debian is supposed to be free.