Re: nytimes pages that fail in iceweasel [SOLVED]

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 09:04:18 +0100, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> replied:

> You could try starting Iceweasel with -P and create a new profile. If
> it works there, something is wrong in your normal profile.

I moved my ~/.mozilla directory away, called mozilla, and got a new, very
simple profile.  Its prefs.js file was much shorter.  By brute force, I
edited out lines that were only in my old prefs.js file until I found the
responsible line:

user_pref("dom.indexedDB.enabled", false);

When I changed this to "true" in my original prefs.js, the web pages worked
properly.

The newly enabled function, IndexedDB, apparently has some security
shortcomings:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281066023_Some_Potential_Issues_with_the_Security_of_HTML5_IndexedDB

The databases that various servers create are stored in the sqlite files
under my iceweasel profile.  I may clear those out from time to time.

Thanks to everyone who responded.