Re: Debian security: need recipe for blocking root ssh access AND all ssh password access

    Setting SSH "PermitRoot no" and "PasswordAuthentication no" are good starts... I'd also check that "ChallengeResponseAuthentication no" is set as well as some PAM modules will utilize it and be able to get around passwords being entered as well as "UsePAM no"

    I do agree locking the root password isn't advisable. As I use configuration management/automation to handle my servers I simply set the root password to generated password that only I know the algorithm to reproduce it when I need to, but enable sudoers for all other 'root' access.

    I also go further by utilizing Duo Security as a MFA for SSH logins to my servers for accounts authorized to log in.