Re: systemd Information

On Mon 15 Feb 2016 at 09:46:56 (+0000), Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 02:48:14PM -0600, Tim McDonough wrote:
> >
> >Anyone have a recommendation for a good reference/tutorial on
> >systemd as it applies to Debian Jessie?
> >
> >It's very frustrating to work on configuring static IPs, SSHD
> >ports, etc. and never knowing which files are the correct ones to
> >edit. For that matter, with systemd now in place why the heck were
> >the old config files and scripts left in place if they aren't
> >used?
>
> As far as I'm aware, just because systemd CAN configure networking,
> doesn't mean that it does. And in fact, in Debian, it doesn't. The
> Debian Reference Manual [1] (which should be considered gospel in
> these matters), states that the preferred methods fore configuring
> the network are either network-manager or wicd for a graphical
> desktop machine, or /etc/network/interfaces otherwise.

The string "graph" does not occur in the text of chapter 5.
What the heading says is

    "5.2. The modern network configuration for desktop"

There is a link to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface
in the HTML version, but the authors failed to provide a link to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text-based_user_interface
which is sufficient for running wicd. (I can't speak for
network-manager, never having installed it.)

Cheers,
David.