Re: apt-get vim-tiny

Hi,

OS wrote:
> Any time I do anything with apt-get, it ends with an error code (1). It
> seems to have something to do with vim-tiny

You did not show such an "anything" attempt. So it is hard to
tell whether vim.tiny really is to blame.

> mark@FrogBreath:~$ sudo apt-get remove vim.tiny
> update-alternatives: error: unable to read link `/etc/alternatives/vi':

There is supposed to be a symbolic link with that name, which
points to one of the various /usr/bin/vim.* programs.
On my Debian 8:

  /etc/alternatives/vi -> /usr/bin/vim.basic

choosing between

  /usr/bin/vim.basic
  /usr/bin/vim.tiny

I'd check what kind of file is behind that path

  ls -ld /etc/alternatives/vi

If it is missing indeed, i'd check which /usr/bin/vim.* are present

  ls -ld /usr/bin/vim.*

and then create a link to one of them

  sudo ln -s /usr/bin/vim.basic /etc/alternatives/vi

If /etc/alternatives/vi exists, the further action depends on what
file type it is. Normally one would remove or rename it and then
create a link by ln -s as described above.

Then i would test whether the "do anything" problems still occur.
The proper existence or non-existence of vim-tiny should not interfere
with unrelated apt-get operations.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas