Re: PowerTop on Debian Stretch

On 2/10/2016 9:21 AM, Adam Wilson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:11:43 +0400 Dwijesh Gajadur <dwijesh1@gmail.com>
wrote:

I used PowerTop on Ubuntu 15.10. I found that Ubuntu 15.10 uses
PowerTop 2.7. However Debian Stretch uses PowerTop 2.8. And it seems
that the bug is in the 2.8 version.

I tried to downgrade PowerTop and installed the 2.7 version on
Debian. But now I am getting another error line:

Did you actually read JC's response? They won't help you, and neither
will I (because I know nothing about using powertop). The point is,
your battery is beyond redemption- this is a fact of nature, and one
that plagues all laptop batteries. Get a new battery.

Did anyone carefully read the OP's original post?

It said:
"I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop which has a 40WHr, 4-cell battery. On Windows 7 I get a battery life of 6-7 hours. On Ubuntu I get a battery life of 5 hours after using PowerTop. However on Debian I get only 3 hours of battery life. I have done calibration several times and for several hours but I get only 3 hours of battery life."

Please note use of present tense.
I see two possible interpretations:
1. he has a multi-boot installation. In which case he is NOW getting longer run
     times in Windows and Ubuntu than in Debian.
2. he did a clean install of Debian and saw an IMMEDIATE decrease in run time.

If that is not so, I ask Mr. Gajadur to clarify.

HTH