Re: bad sectors on disk

Hi Ritesh Raj Sarraf

Just a thought - my two cents:

On Tuesday 09 February 2016 12:53:04 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Thank you for your response.
>
> Purely selfish. :)
> I want to know about cabling problems.
>
> > Linux pi 4.1.16-v7+ #833 SMP Wed Jan 27 14:32:22 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> The source code where i find the message text in my Sid kernel
> is not depending on the CPU architecture. So it is supposed to be
> in effect on your system.
> But i riddle why it does not convert 0x2003 to "FAILED".
>
> > The RPi2 is a USB 2.0 only device. But yes, I think the drive is 3.0
> > capable.

Are you copying or moving files from or to your USB-HDD via the network?
RPis share the same USB controller for the network chip and for the USB-ports.
My experience with RPis is that heavy network traffic makes the I/O over the
USB-ports to and from HDDs very shaky. I even lost a HDD that way.
If you want some sort of a NAS then ditch the RPi. You will be better off with
a Cubietruck if you want to stick to ARM-architecture or a PC-Engines ALIX
(i386) or a PC-Engines APU if you prefer amd64 and want more memory.

All the best
Eike

> The reports about optical drive problems which i have seen during
> the last year were about USB 2 boxes plugged into USB 3 computer
> sockets. They are far too few to indicate a general problem.
> I suspect it is about certain kernels and certain pairings of the
> two participating USB controllers, maybe even the cables.
>
> On the other hand, there are criminal USB power supply contraptions
> around which in most cases even seem to work. See
>
> https://media-cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/00/03/8036213-IMG_0222.JP
> https://media-cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum/attachments/41/03/8037143-51zTbNM27vL
> ._SL1000_.jpg from a german discussion about spurious "host_status 7"
> errors.
> I meanwhile suspect something like a dead fruit fly was sticking
> to the plug. A modern version of the 1947 classic
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H96566k.jpg
>
> > I just hope it is not another HDD failure.
>
> Looks like a controller and/or driver problem.
> The web echo on "UNKNOWN(0x2003)" is suspiciously unhelpful.
I second that - see above.

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Agencia Shopping del Sol