Re: Difficulties while installing additional packages from .iso (USB stick) after successful stretch install

On Tue 09 Feb 2016 at 01:22:49 +0100, sbeck@secure.mailbox.org wrote:

> Hi,
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> hat am 8. Februar 2016 um 19:50
> > geschrieben:
> >
> > This works with a Jessie DVD-1. The Stretch DVD has the same structure.
> >
> >   ls -l
> > /media/cdrom/debian-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso/dists/stretch/main/binary-amd64/
> >
> > should show Packages.gz.
> >
> > Comment out the sources.list entry and do 'apt-get update'; lock and
> > /partial should now be the only files in /var/lib/apt/lists. /partial
> > should be empty. Also do 'apt-get clean'.
> >
> > Now revert the commenting out and proceed with 'apt-get update'.
>
> Thanks, Brian, I commented out the entry in the sources.list file as you
> proposed, but in my case it did not work. :-( Remember that I have a USB
> stick with an DVD.iso, I do not have a real DVD

My assumption (incorrect) was that the ISO had been put on the stick
using 'cp debian.iso /dev/sdX' as described at

  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

It appears you have used the less common hard disk method of booting
with a separate kernel and initrd. The isohybrid nature of the ISO is
immaterial in this case.

If you stay with the present stick mount the partition the ISO is on:

  mount /dev/sdXn /media/cdrom

Access the contents of the ISO by mounting it with

  mount /media/cdrom/debian-testing-amd64-DVD-1.iso /mnt

In sources.list have

  deb file:/mnt/debian stretch main contrib