Re: Squid3 doesn't listen on any port on Jessie

On 08/02/2016 10:20, Willy Ted MANGA wrote:
Hello,
I just upgraded my server from wheezy to jessie and my squid3 doesn't
listen to any port . :-\

We just had a similar problem with a new squid 3 install on another distro. (For historical reasons we have one old server running Fedora, just updated to Fedora 23 "server" configuration.)

In our case, squid was 'listening' fine on 3128 - but it wasn't 'hearing' anything; the firewall was completely locked down in that last Fedora update (only port 22 was open, if I recall). I mention this because, though we don't use Jessie, that Fedora update uses systemd, and SElinux(?) and this very restrictive firewall configuration, out of the box. Even installing squid did *not* open the port 3128; the firewall had to adjusted by hand, and then squid worked fine.

As I say, we're still on Wheezy with our remaining systems, so I don't know whether Jessie is closer to that Fedora arrangement, or not, but thought this experience might help.

Have you also checked the squid/jessie configuration notes? In moving to systemd on our fedora system, some of the 'conf' files moved from /etc/... to /usr/... and this seemed to be a consequence of systemd (in Fedora's case), but I don't know what happens in Jessie. Just to check whether the conf files you are changing are the ones being used.

Ron