Re: Headless Wheezy

On Sun, 2016-01-31 at 20:29 +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 31 Jan 2016 at 21:00:40 +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:
>
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Not even Xvfb? Is it forbidden? Do I have to stop doing it?
> >
> > Of course. The VT100 Protection Squad is on its way to apprehend you.
> > Please wait patiently at your keyboard until they arrive to take to your
> > reeducation on the pure ways of UNIX™.
>
> Damn! I knew I shouldn't have opened my big mouth in public.
>
> I'll plead extenuating circumstances: a machine with a 256MHz processor,
> 1GB of compact flash and 256MB of memory. Mercy has been shown in
> similar situations.
>
> > Joke aside: under normal circumstances most headless systems won't have
> > any Xserver running on them.
>
> True.
>
> > If you use Xvfb or Xpra or Xvncserver I guess you have a special reason
> > to do so.
>
> How would anyone run Skype sensibly?
>
> > Maybe David has one, too. It'd be intereting to read about it. But until
> > then I guess this is a sort of XY-Problem we are seeing.
>
> I purged the xy package a long time ago.

Sorry, I should have given a better explanation as to what I'm trying to
achieve.

I would like to use the Alix box along with TeamViewer as a gateway into
my network.

I've tried TeamViewer on a windoze box and it works well, but the
windoze box failed so I thought I would try the Alix board. I did
consider a Raspberry Pi, but TeamViewer wont run on a Pi.

Once I can gain access into my network I can then use SSH to monitor the
points I want to see.

David.