Re: Posting a message on all desktops

On 01/30/2016 02:33 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
Is there a way for a system admin to post a message on the desktops of all the machines on a LAN ?

Cheers,

Ron.

If all the desktops are just terminals (text), you could use "wall". But they're probably not. (?)

You could put the desired announcement in /etc/motd and they would see it when they log in.

If they all have Tk installed, you could write a bit of code to pop a window on each machine on the lan, but you would also need access to all of them.

But I'm going to guess everyone is running GUIs on their desktops and you don't want to write code, so all I can think of-- and what we've done at every place I've worked-- is just to send everyone an email.