Re: Is anybody Running Debian on Acer Aspire E5-571G

On 13/01/2016, Dikomodo <dikomodo@anche.no> wrote:
> Hallo everybody
> Is anybody Running Debian on Acer Aspire E5-571G?
> Thankyou very much

The above message is the only message that I have seen in the thread,
from the original poster, so I say this, without the above message
explaining why the question is asked.

If the issue is a matter of available software drivers for the
hardware, you may want to consider UbuntuMATE 15.10 (the latest
version of UbuntuMATE).

The web site is at
http://ubuntu-mate.org/
and the Downloads web page is at
https://ubuntu-mate.org/wily/

I suggest UbuntuMATE, as, having had problems with Acer hardware not
having drivers in Debian, I found the drivers in UbuntuMATE.

As a single example, I have an Acer V3-772G which has an i7 CPU and an
nVIDIA graphics thing, and, for two years, I could not get it running
(other than with the hostile MS-Wing-ding), as I could not find an
operational (I could not get MS-Wing-ding 8, working) operating system
that had the drivers for the hardware. Then I tried Ubuntu, and, it
worked without any problem (apart from the GNOME3 cesspool, and I was
referred to UbuntuMATE, and have not looked back).

I have other ACER laptops, running UbuntuMATE 15.10, and, the bottom
line is that Ubuntu has the most comprehensive collection of drivers,
and, is most likely to have drivers for the most recent hardware. Or,
that is my experience.

The closest (in terms of having drivers available for the hardware)
other operating system that I found, was DragonflyBSD, but, whilst
that was the only other (Non-MS) operating system that had a driver
for the i7 CPU, it did not have an available driver for the nVIDIA
graphics thing.

So, my recommendation is that, if the question is an issue of
availability of drivers for the hardware, you consider UbuntuMATE.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."