Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, Floris wrote:

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 05:22:59
From: Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

Op Sat, 16 Jan 2016 20:06:22 +0100 schreef Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>:

Hi there,

since a few days my normal user, which is in group sound, cannot
play sound (aplay works but no sound) while root can.

Any ideas how to debug this?

This is a debian testing system with pulseaudio and mpd running.

/dev$ find |xargs ls -ld|grep audio
crw-rw----+  1 root audio      14,   4 Jan 16 16:32 ./audio
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root             8 Jan 16 16:32 ./char/14:4 -> ../audio
crw-rw----+  1 root audio      14,   3 Jan 16 16:32 ./dsp
crw-rw----+  1 root audio      14,   0 Jan 16 16:32 ./mixer
crw-rw----+  1 root audio      14,  16 Jan 16 16:32 ./mixer1
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   2 Jan 16 16:32 ./snd/controlC0
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   6 Jan 16 16:32 ./snd/controlC1
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   5 Jan 16 16:32 ./snd/hwC0D0
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,  10 Jan 16 16:32 ./snd/hwC1D0
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   4 Jan 16 19:27 ./snd/pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   3 Jan 16 19:52 ./snd/pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   7 Jan 16 19:52 ./snd/pcmC1D3p
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   8 Jan 16 19:27 ./snd/pcmC1D7p
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   9 Jan 16 19:27 ./snd/pcmC1D8p
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,   1 Jan 16 16:32 ./snd/seq
crw-rw----+  1 root audio     116,  33 Jan 16 16:32 ./snd/timer

Ciao, Gregor

Maybe it sounds odd, but does you have sound when you remove yourself
form the audio group?

In Debian Testing systemd takes care for setting the right rights
That is why you have a "+" at the end of the permissions.

What is the outcome of:

getfacl /dev/snd/hwC0D0

success,

floris

As the user without audio capability please type groups and hit enter. I suspect you will see neither audio or video in that list. If that's the case root will have to do something like: usermod -a -G audio,video <username> and then reboot the system. Doing a groups command again as the user should show audio and video along with whatever else was in that list earlier. If so, try downloading youtube-viewer and run it and search for a youtube video as the user and see what happens when you try to play that video. I think you'll have video and audio if the video has audio to play.