Re: Problem with apt-get and sources.list

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 05:57:52PM +0300, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 08:17:42 +1300 Chris Bannister
> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 06:18:09PM +0300, Adam Wilson wrote:

> > > Assuming you're running stable,
> > >
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ stable main
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ stable-updates main
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ stable-proposed-updates main
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ stable-backports main
> > > deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> > >
> > > is the complete setup.
> >
> > It's not complete, it's missing contrib and non-free.
>
> Correction: complete *official* setup anyway. Unless Debian has dropped
> any pretence of contrib and non-free being unofficial.

Whatever. To have a fully functioning system you need contrib and
non-free in your sources.list, sure, you could go out of your way and
buy hardware which doesn't need any firmware, but guess what, those
people don't tend to post to this list asking for help.

> I don't recommend non-free software to anyone as a matter of principle.

Sure, but when their computer stops working because of an update and the
installed firmware blob is no longer working, they'll complain to this
list --- and guess what the posted solution will be?

I'm certain it will be "oh, you're missing contrib and non-free in your
sources.list"

It appears there was some talk about refining the sources.list, but it's
not so straight forward:

oppressing." --- Malcolm X