Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

Hi Ric, debian-users,
* Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> [18. Jan. 2016]:
> On 01/16/2016 02:06 PM, Gregor Zattler wrote:
>>since a few days my normal user, which is in group sound, cannot
>>play sound (aplay works but no sound) while root can.
>>
>>Any ideas how to debug this?
>
> Crank up alsamixer and un-mute whatever became muted. Pulse sits on top of
> alsa. Look there first, else pulse cannot work at all. Ric

Thanks, the relevant settings are unmuted and turned on.
Actually I can hear sound with aplay -- but only as root.

This is astonishing, because my main user is in

$ groups
grfz cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev lpadmin
bluetooth scanner

being in group audio should be enough.

Actually I do hear music ATM with ncmpcpp/mpd and:

$ sudo groups mpd
mpd : audio

So mpd plays music with permissions from group audio but I cannot
play a wav file or hear the sound of a movie!?

Ciao, Gregor
--