Re: Is anybody Running Debian on Acer Aspire E5-571G

It may be a 2003 machine, though it has to have a bios install since it's too old to handle uefi.

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, Stuart Longland wrote:

Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:48:19
From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.id.au>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Is anybody Running Debian on Acer Aspire E5-571G

On 13/01/16 22:04, Jude DaShiell wrote:
It sure is, and Acer Aspire computers generally are cut down AMD Athelon
x64 clones.  I proved this since I also have a real AMD K8 Athelon
computer vintage 1994 that is still running (how old does it have to get
before the Smithsonian Museum gets interested) and I have the distro
from http://talkingarch.tk/ installed on the K8 and the Aspire 5003.  I
ran netctl's wifi-menu -o command to find local wifi connections with
both machines.  The AMD K8 had no problems.  The Acer Aspire returned an
error of no valid interface and this was with the same cable and wifi
adapter plugged into each machine.

1994?  You sure about that?  Pretty sure the Pentium was only a new chip
with major heat problems and a dodgy floating point bug back then.

I find it incredible that AMD were strutting their x86-64 stuff that
long ago.  Wikipedia seems to think they came out in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_K8