DenyHosts

My new fledgling server is being slammed, and I mean slammed like
Sandy slammed New York, by root login attacks from 59.46.71.36,
ShenYang, China. Of course, I don't allow root logins except from the
console or via ssh key pair, so I presume I'm safe that way, but I'd
sure like to cut down on the log churning of /var/log/auth.log,
particularly since it makes it harder to read that log to get the
stuff I need to know out of it. My router (Fios Quantum gateway) is
useless at blocking anything from the outside, so I've got to do it
internally. What are folks' favorite deny-hosts applications? I tried
installing DenyHosts, but it must be from a private repo because
whatever I have in sources couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance.