Re: Problem with apt-get and sources.list

On Thu 14 Jan 2016 at 09:39:26 +0530, Udyant Wig wrote:

> On 01/14/2016 02:08 AM, Brian wrote:

> >> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
> >> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
> >
> > Why not suggest a mirror which would be suitable for anyone, no matter
> > what their location in the world is?
> >
> > deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
> > deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib
>
>   I tried the redirector a while ago, but one mirror kept returning 403,
>   necessitating reruns of apt(itude).  So, I switched to specific
>   mirrors after that.  I haven't revisited using the redirector since
>   then.

Such (not always transient) errors are not unknown but the redirector
cannot turn a malfunctioning mirror into a well-behaved one. The place
to report such an issue is mirrors@lists.debian.org.

I wonder what the reaction would have been to a suggestion for Amr Saber
to use

  deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib ?

httpredir.debian.org/debian/ mitigates the need to think about and
investigate which specific mirror to choose. Of course both can be put
in sources.list.