Re: Problem with apt-get and sources.list

On 01/13/2016 10:31 AM, Amr Saber wrote:
Hi there,
While I was configuring some thing in the sources.list file as apt-get
couldn't get any package I wanted or asked for (I double checked the
spelling for each package) and it just said package not found ...

You can search for packages here:

    http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

any way, The problem is that the sources.list file was accidentally deleted

It's useful to make copies of original configuration files before editing them:

    # cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list-orig

    # vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Better yet is putting them into a version control system.

> and I can't find any version of it online and ofcourse the apt-get is
> no longer working at all

Somebody already posted a Jessie file.  Here's my Wheezy file:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7.8.0 _Wheezy_ - Official amd64 xfce-CD Binary-1 20150110-14:41]/ wheezy main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main