Re: gettext is one minor rev too old

On Tuesday 12 January 2016 11:36:52 Brian wrote:

> On Mon 11 Jan 2016 at 21:25:16 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 11 January 2016 13:30:41 Brian wrote:
> > > C'mon. At the very least you have
> > >
> > >   https://packages.debian.org
> > >
> > > for what archives have and the wiki for telling you how to use
> > > backports. Help others to help you by helping yourself.
> >
> > Snotty attitudes don't cut it, and neither does that site.  The
> > search engine is apparently set to scan for jessie(stable) only, or
> > at least it returns zero results for wheezy. And once you have used
> > the search, you
>
> We in the Snotty Brigade hand out fishing tackle, not fish. We are
> pleased to see the policy has appeared to work in your case.

ROTFLMAO! And my apologies for my own attitude caused by all the
frustrations I've encountered the last week or so.

I had that coming I guess, but that site is just different enough to
confuse this old fart.

I did figure out how to make synaptic make use of wheezy-backports, so I
said to myself, I can't make it any worse, so I let it install over 300
pkgs from backports.  Other that tar, its running better than it has in
quite a spell, although I understand Lisi is holding her breath because
I've gone someplace that even angels don't.  We'll see I guess, but like
the guy who said he was going to live forever, so far, so good.  I can,
at 81, and despite a pulmonary embolism that came very close to punching
my ticket out of here at the end of May 2014, can also say so far so
good.  Most of the time.

If I had known at 20 that I was going to live this long, I sure would
have taken better care of me.

This, from a guy who was a geek before the word was invented, I quit
school in 1948 to go see if I could fix these newfangled things called
televisions, and I "had the knack", and its incurable.  I am glad it
wasn't, because of pure serendipity, I've left my fingerprints in some
unusual, one of a kind  places over the last 67 years, like the tv
cameras that were on the Trieste in Feb, 1960 when it went down into the
mohole.

But the combo of age, and hard to define aspects of the P-E with its
potential for mini-strokes, has me asking questions of you kind folks
that 30 years ago I would have written the code to find my own answers
to.  And as you can imagine, its frustrating.

The rest as they say is history.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)