Re: gettext is one minor rev too old

On Tuesday 12 January 2016 07:59:27 Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 1/11/2016 11:55 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> If I read this thread correctly, I think
> >>
> >> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gettext
> >>
> >> will answer your question(s).
> >
> > it only returned Jessie packages, but they turned out to be the same
> > as wheezy-backports were. I let it update to the backports (around
> > 350 packages) about 2 hours back, and it looks the same, but feels
> > better.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> That is *NOT* what I get.
> The portion of what I see bearing on your question is:
>
> /begin quotation
>

> You have searched for packages that names contain gettext in all
> suites, all sections, and all architectures. Found 39 matching
> packages.
> Exact hits
> Package gettext
>
>      squeeze (oldoldstable) (devel): GNU Internationalization
> utilities
>      0.18.1.1-3: amd64 armel i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64
> kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
>      wheezy (oldstable) (devel): GNU Internationalization utilities
>      0.18.1.1-9: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64
> kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
>      wheezy-backports (devel): GNU Internationalization utilities
>      0.19.3-2~bpo70+1: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64
> kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
>      jessie (stable) (devel): GNU Internationalization utilities
>      0.19.3-2: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc
> ppc64el s390x
>      stretch (testing) (devel): GNU Internationalization utilities
>      0.19.7-2: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc
> ppc64el s390x
>      sid (unstable) (devel): GNU Internationalization utilities
>      0.19.7-2: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386
> kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64 ppc64el
> s390x sparc64 x32
>      0.19.6-1 [debports]: m68k sh4
>      0.19.3-2 [debports]: powerpcspe
> /end quotation
>
> The top of the page allows the user refine the search by clicking
> on desired suite and/or architecture.
> Below the quoted excerpt is a very long list of "other hits".
>
> As do not have my Debian machine on the internet, I used
> SeaMonkey 2.26.1 under (gasp;) WinXP Pro SP3. The same is
> displayed using IE8. Something is odd ;/

Probably me.  In any event, I did find where in synaptic to enable the
wheezy-backports, and an update then brought about 330 packages up newer
versions.

Unfortunately, one of them was tar, to version 1.27-1 and it no longer
tolerates being called with the -cpsf option list, puking all over
itself and refusing to complete last nights backup run by amanda.
This gets tiresome as I don't recall ever updating tar, and having a
working syntax when it was done.  Suitable help please message posted to
the tar-users list.

Other than that, the system seems to be running smoother after that
update blast than it has since the ssl/tls square dance started around 2
weeks ago.  So I'll be pleased when I figure out how to fix tar so it
works again.

Thanks Richard.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)