Re: gettext is one minor rev too old

On Monday 11 January 2016 21:25:16 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 11 January 2016 13:30:41 Brian wrote:

> > > I have that in /etc/apt/sources.list as
> > >
> > > deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main contrib
> > > non-free
> > >
> > > Do I need to add another option word above to see 0.18.2?
> >
> > C'mon. At the very least you have
> >
> >   https://packages.debian.org
> >
> > for what archives have and the wiki for telling you how to use
> > backports. Help others to help you by helping yourself.
>
> Snotty attitudes don't cut it, and neither does that site.  The search
> engine is apparently set to scan for jessie(stable) only, or at least
> it returns zero results for wheezy. And once you have used the search,
> you cannot back out as the back button never takes you back to THAT
> site. I quit iceweasel 3 times just so it could send it back to THAT
> site to see if I could figure out how to use it to do a useful search.
>
> So unless you can offer real help, STFU and let someone else with less
> of an attitude answer.
>
> My thanks to anyone with a helpful answer.
>
> I did find it eventually but its a whole version number newer, so I've
> no clue if it will install.  sudo dpkg I assume.  And I am amazed,
> dpkg had no complaints.
>
> So I re-ran geda-gaf's autogen.sh, getting this back at the end:
> autopoint: *** The AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declaration in your
> configure.ac
>                file requires the infrastructure from gettext-0.18.2
> but this version
>                is older. Please upgrade to gettext-0.18.2 or newer.
> autopoint: *** Stop.
>
> Older? 'scuse me, but, an "ldconfig -v|grep gettext" returns:
>  	libgettextpo.so.0 -> libgettextpo.so.0.5.1
> 	libgettextlib-0.19.3.so -> libgettextlib-0.19.3.so
>         libgettextsrc-0.19.3.so -> libgettextsrc-0.19.3.so
>
> Something isn't matching, and the error is bogus? But thats a SWAG.
>
> ./configure has no problems, but make ends with a missing .h file.
> Again exactly the same result as I got yesterday with
> gettext-0.18.1-whatever.
>
> So, where do I go from here?  I can't update to Jessie just yet since
> LinuxCNC iso's for Jessie haven't been assembled yet.  Its coming, but
> likely not until after April. It helps now that Linus has announced
> his own LTS kernel just this past week.  Now our kernel folks know
> what kernel they need to make compatible with the RTAI patchkit, and
> vice versa of course.
>
> My thanks to anyone who can offer useful advice.  I'd use eagle for
> the current need, but that kit self-destructs quite often when updates
> destroy any thought of being backward compatible with previously
> composed work.

Gee, I just luv broken packages AND configure scripts.  That error turned
out to be autopoint was still at 0.18.1whatever.  And autopoint is
SUPPOSED to be part of GNU_gettext, but for some reason is packaged
separately.  The same apt-get syntax (thank you) that updated gettext,
also worked for autopoint, so that error is gone, but the make bailed
out for lack of a libgeda/colors.h.  And that I don't believe is
debian's problem.

There are no doubt, other things in wheezy-backports that synaptic isn't
showing me despite having that defined in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Maybe even updated gEDA packages I am trying to build since the wheezy
versions cannot even interchange data files between gshem and pcb.

How do I convince synaptic to show them to me?  That certainly has to be
easier that poking around the back of the donkey with a sharp stick
trying to build the whole suite of programs that gEDA is. ;)

Thank you all;

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)