gschem only partially works

Greetings all;

I have drawn a simple 6 part schematic, in gschem, for something I need
several copies of as part of the control mechanism of a cnc machine
tool.

Now I would like to translate that to a pcb I can make.

However, its been an exercise best described as the 10,000 monkeys with
typewriters miraculously re-creating Shakespears works.

The reason?  In the help pulldown, the top 3 items that should give one
access to the documentation for the geda suite of programs, do ANAICT
nothing, not even a disk access spike is shown by gkrellm.

The complete suite of programs is installed.  Is there a .conf file
someplace besides /etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc to set its choice of
browsers to use to display this stuff?  iceweasel is the default,
chromium is available, as is konqerer.  Resetting the default browser to
each of them in turn has no effect.

I need some clues as to how to even trace this to see where the failure
is.  FWIW, while looking at /etc/gEDA/gschemrc, I did fix it so the
print command worked by adding the cups defined name
as "lp -dNetwork_printer".  The default "lpr" apparently sends the job
to /dev/null, or possibly /dev/oblivion?  It never gets anywhere near a
cups log.

The same /usr/share/gEDA directory tree also contains at least 1000 .sym
files, which are what gschem uses to draw the part symbol on the screen,
and all that works, but no handy documentation can be displayed on
command.

Clues? I seem to have used up mine.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett