Re: Question: eth0 vs enp1s0 (second try)

Hi Brian,
> Is there no sign of any discovered interfaces for the Aspire in the
> output of dmesg?

I get this:

dmesg | grep eth0
[    2.201866] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x732 @ 1, addr
1c:75:08:2c:84:f8
[   36.198523] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0 eth0: MSI enabled
[   36.198795] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0 eth0: no link during initialization
[   36.199147] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[   75.435837] forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0 eth0: link down

> dmesg or journalctl have no indication that eth0 on the EEEPC is renamed?
>
> [...]

> I think you mean "net.ifnames=0".

Yey, of course, it was just a typo. :)

> What do 'ls /sys/class/net' and 'ip link' give without this addition?

I get:

ls /sys/class/net/

enp1s0  Io  wlan0

Brian, I believe, for now I will stay with the net.ifnames=0 solution. I
checjed, if I want to use enp1s0, I haved to edit a lot of configuration files
from eth0 to enp1s0. This is rather annoying, as any update of a package will
force me to that again and again.

As long the developers won't find a solution, which will fit both options, I
will stay at eth0. When debian changed completely to enp1s0 (and this includes
all the configurations, too), I can easyly remove the net.ifnames option and
return to enp1s0.

I believe, the different outrputs are just becaus the EEEPC is newer and got a
newer hardware and a more talking BIOS.

Thank you for all the help, the explanation is not as easy as I though, but
the solution is.

So let this problem be solved for now.

Thank you (and all the other friends who helped here) very much indeed.

I wish you and your family a very happy new year and much joy of hacking.

Thanks again, and best regards

Hans