Re: Need help with disk config.

On 12/30/2015 04:24 PM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
In the next couple of days I will have a much better computer. Not
64bit, but at least faster and with more disk.

It will have 4x1TB SATA drives, 4x250GB IDE/PATA drives and all the
memory it can use and a fast AMD socket AM2 processor.

I'd like some suggestions on how to format/allocate the SATA drives. I
imagine that one of them will be the system disk with the other 3
containing data, but ext2,3,4? Or other file system. LVM?, Raid?

The IDE/PATA drives are on my existing machine, which is on its last
legs, and contain a mish-mash of mailboxes, web pages, genealogy files,
archives, etc. Probably not worth worrying about at this time.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations, warnings, or other guidance, I
would appreciate hearing them!

Keep your existing machine intact. You will need it to be operational as you build up the new machine, and then to migrate and validate your settings and data to the new machine. Once everything is settled, power it down and set it aside.

It would help if you provided more information:

1.  What do you plan to do with the computer (desktop, server, etc.)?

2. In what context (home, SOHO, academic, small business, enterprise, etc.))?

3. What hardware -- case, power supply, motherboard, processor, memory modules, expansion cards, disk drives, optical drive, etc., makes and models?

4.  What software -- which release of Debian?  Applications and/or services?

5. How much, and what kind of data? Workload? Encryption? Disaster recovery?

6. Ability to obtain additional parts, such as an SSD or USB 3.0 flash drive for the system drive.

7.  Anything else that is relevant.

David