Re: Need a calculator that knows about coulombs

On 12/23/2015 02:09 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Ahh, but its being fed to a voltage-doubler with schottky diodes ...
The PSU has a quite high
capacitance input filter, and without this soft start timed power up,
needs a 30 amp breaker in the service in order for the breaker to
withstand the power up event. NEC says I can't service a duplex with
more than a 15 amp breaker.  The actual draw, once powered up, doesn't
exceed 15 amps even with a vacuum cleaner being powered by a similar
circuit enabled that is plugged into this same 4-plex.
All part of a CNC milling machine setup. ...

So, you want to connect a 120 VAC, 30 A CNC milling machine and a 120 VAC, unknown current vacuum cleaner to a single 120 V 15 A branch circuit.

I suppose you could read a power electronics book, and design and build a device that accepts 120 VAC, 15 A steady-state input and provides 120 VAC, 15 A steady-state output with the ability to output much more current for short periods. Such a product may already exist. If not, you might be able to make and sell them.

But, the KISS solution is obvious -- install a 30 ampere circuit breaker, wiring, and receptacle for the CNC machine (or hire an electrician to do so).

David